If it’s time to get your backpack cleaned, here are some useful tips you’ll need to know for cleaning canvas backpacks when it comes to both machine and hand-washing as well as drying.
Machine Washing Canvas A Backpack
Most canvas as well as nylon backpacks are machine washable, but it’s always safe to check the care label first.
- Make sure to completely empty your backpack before putting it into the wash.
- Pre-treat any stains with a stain remover of your choice using a soft brush or toothbrush and let the treatment sit for 30 minutes. An equal solution of liquid detergent and water will work well. Avoid using products with bleach.
- Place the bag inside a pillow case or laundry sack to keep the straps and zippers from getting caught in the machine. Alternatively, you can wash it inside out.
- Wash on a cold, gentle cycle with a small amount of detergent.
- Once the cycle is done, wipe down excess water inside and outside of the backpack with a clean towel before leaving it to dry.
Hand Washing A Canvas Backpack
If you want to hand-wash your backpack, make sure you have a soft brush/toothbrush, a cloth/sponge and a towel. Remember to completely empty the bag before you begin washing and remove any crumbs or debris by shaking them out.
- Begin by unzipping pockets, cutting away loose threads and take away detachable items from the bag like straps, and wash them separately.
- Remove any stains with a stain remover and leave to sit for 30 mins before washing.
- Fill a basin or tub with luke-warm water, enough to cover the item and add a tablespoon of gentle detergent to create soapy water.
- Scrub the bag with a toothbrush or a scourer sponge, focusing on the dirty areas, without forgetting to clean the interior too.
- Once done, drain the dirty water and replace with clean water. Rinse the bag thoroughly and wring it as mush as you can. Wrap the bag into a towel to absorb excess water before drying.
Drying A Canvas Backpack
Always naturally air dry your backpack by hanging it up, outside or inside, rather than using a machine dryer as this can ruin the fabric. Ensure that zippers are unzipped to allow the bag to dry completely.
To prevent putting your backpack through a frequent wash, wipe away dirt and remove stains immediately. Avoid spillage of foods and drinks by making sure you use proper containers and that the lids seal securely.