Whether you’re getting set for a wedding, work, or going back to school, it’s important to know how to properly tie a tie. Follow these simple steps, and you will be tying your tie in no time.
- Half Windsor
- Full Windsor
The half Windsor knot is the most popular form of knot. It is a medium-sized knot that is easy to reproduce, and perfect for medium to thick ties.
- Begin by popping the collar of your shirt, and draping your tie around your neck so that it sits below the collar. The wide end of your tie should be on your right-hand side and reach your thigh, and the smaller end on your left and reaching your rib cage.
- Create an X with the two ends of your tie by crossing the wide end over the thin end. From here, loop the wide end horizontally around and behind the thin end of your tie. This should maintain the X shape.
- Next, take the wide end of your tie from the top and through the opening of the X. Make sure to pull it tight. This will create the initial knot.
- Wrap the wide end of your tie in front of the thin end from your right to your left. Then, bring the wide end towards your chest and behind the knot, forming a loop in front of your knot.
- Pull the wide end of your tie through the loop you have created, making sure that you have pulled the full length of it through.
- Finally, adjust your tie by pulling the knot towards the collar of your shirt whilst simultaneously pulling the thin end at the back of your tie down. Adjust your collar so that it is sitting flush with your shoulders before making improvements to your tie. Make sure that your knot is sitting at the top of your shirt, and that your tie is straight and even.
The full Windsor knot is perfect for wider collared shirts. The process involves wrapping your tie twice, so a longer tie is needed for the process.
- Begin by popping the collar of your shirt, and draping your tie around your neck so that it sits below the collar. Adjust your tie so that the wide end is sitting approximately 4-6 inches lower than your waistband.
- Create an X with the two ends of your tie by crossing the wide end over the thin end. From here, tuck the wide end up and beneath the loop around your neck. It should come out and point-upwards behind the X.
- Pull the wide end all the way down, before passing it behind the knot and horizontally from right to left.
- Take the wide end tip, and flip it upwards, tugging it diagonally across the front of the knot. Next, loop the wide end over the top of the loop around your collar and down. It should come out on the left of the thin end.
- From your left position, bring the wide end of your tie over the front of your knot to form a band. Bring the wide end of your tie underneath the loop, around the collar, and down, sliding it through the band.
- Adjust your collar so that it is sitting flush with your shirt, and pull the wide end of your tie downwards until it meets the top of your shirt.
Keep your tie, along with the rest of your suit, looking sharp with Laundryheap. Simply head to the Laundryheap website or download the free Laundryheap app to book your dry cleaning order today.