With a delicate fabric like silk, it’s hard to imagine what to do when you accidentally spill or drop something. If you’re not sure how to remove a stain from silk clothing, follow this simple guide.
What To Remember When Cleaning Silk
Whether it’s for spot cleaning or pre-treating before washing your silk garment, it’s important to remember these points.
- Check for colourfastness- The last thing you would want is the fabric losing its colour. Test clothes for colourfastness before treating stains.
- Don’t rub the stain- Gently blot instead.
- Wash gently- Use a mild detergent and wash gently in cold water.
- Avoid machine drying- The heat is will damage it and cause shrinkage.
- Don’t use bleach– Using bleach on silk will damage the natural fibres.
How To Remove Stains From Silk Clothing
Treat the stain as soon as possible and gently blot the stain to remove excess before commencing stain removal. Use a paper towel, clean cloth or cotton wool to treat the stain.
- For a gentle stain remover, dilute a few tablespoons of either white vinegar or lemon with two cups of lukewarm water.
- For tougher stains, you can either increase the ratio of vinegar to water or dilute a few tablespoons of alcohol/ ammonia with lukewarm water.
You can also choose to use a branded stain remover made for delicate garments. If you desire a more professional approach to remove tough stains, book a collection with a laundry service.
October 13, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Awesome article with great information provided by your article, here I would like to thank you guys for sharing such a fantastic blog. Regards Tiles cleaning and sealing in dubai