It’s essential to clean your yoga mat often to remove the dirt, sweat and smell that comes with every use. It will also help prevent your mat from deteriorating and expand the life of your yoga mat.
How To Clean A Yoga Mat
Consider washing your yoga mat every few months if you don’t use it frequently and at least once a month if you use it regularly. Note that you shouldn’t put your yoga mat into the washing machine or tumble dryer as it can degrade the quality.
- Soak your yoga mat in the bathtub, filled with warm water and a few tablespoons of mild detergent/ dish soap.
- Wash both sides of the mat using a soft cloth, focusing more on the dirtier areas.
- Rinse mat with clean water removing all soap and residue.
- After rinsing, gently shake the mat to remove excess water.
- Lay the mat down on top of a clean towel and roll the two together to soak up moisture.
- Hang your mat up to dry on a drying rack or with pant hangers (be warned it may leave clip marks).
Maintaining Your Yoga Mat
- Clean your hands and feet before using (if possible).
- Wipe matt with a baby wipe or cloth with mild soap after every use.
- Air out your mat regularly to evaporate lingering smells and moisture.
- Keep your yoga mat in a cool, dry place and out of sunlight.